Prep Time: Ten (10) minutes
Bean Soaking Time: Two (2) hours
Cooking Time: One (1) hour
Yields: Six (6) servings
½ Cup Mung Beans
8 Cups Water, divided
2 Tablespoons Ghee or Olive Oil
1 Teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1 Cup cooked Brown Basmati Rice
½ Teaspoon Turmeric Powder
½ Teaspoon Sea Salt
1. Soak the Mung Beans in a bowl with water for 2 hours, then drain and rinse.
2. Cook the Mung Beans in 4 Cups of Water for thirty (30) minutes and drain excess liquid.
3. Heat the Ghee or Olive Oil in a deep pan over medium heat.
4. Add Mustard and Cumin Seeds and stir until they pop, about 2 minutes.
5. Add the Rice, Mung Beans, Turmeric and Sea Salt and stir.
6. Add the Water, and bring to a boil.
7. Reduce heat, cover most of the way, and simmer twenty-five (25) minutes, until rice and beans are cooked.
• Kitchari, a combination of Rice and Mung Beans, is used in Ayurveda for cleansing the system. Try adding fresh herbs near the end of the cooking time, such as Thyme or Parsley.
• Add any vegetables you like to the pot while the Brown Basmati Rice and Mung Beans are cooking.
|All materials in this website are copyrighted by Healing Mother's Spirit!|